Ever since I made the Roasted Asparagus and Leek Tart, I’ve been trying to think of other ways I can use leeks. I’ve since made my Instant Pot Pancetta, Leek, and Mushroom Risotto, which is AMAZING, by the way. But that hasn’t settled my craving yet, I wanted to create more recipes that involve leeks. And thus, I created the Caramelized Leek and Crispy Bacon Tart.
It’s amazing to think that when I first started this blog I had never heard of leeks. When I began the blog last fall, I started googling what vegetables were in season. I’ve been teaching myself what fruits and vegetables are best to use in each season. I figured this was a good place to start when learning how to cook and develop recipes.
The sweet buttery leeks and the salty crispy bacon in this caramelized leek and bacon tart are a winning combination. The leeks melt in your mouth and the crispy bacon provides the perfect crunch. And then adding the smoky gouda on top really brings the entire dish together. And it’s surprisingly filling! My mom and I often make this for lunch.
The Puff Pastry Saga Continues
You may be wondering if my addiction to making puff pastry tarts will ever end. The answered is no. So far I have the Caramelized Onion, Fig, and Goat Cheese Tarts, and the Roasted Asparagus and Leek Tart, and now this one. And you better believe the trend will continue. They’re so easy to use, and are a perfect flaky tart base.
Before I started this blog I had never worked with puff pastry before! Isn’t that crazy? I’d eaten if before, but never cooked with it for myself. Now I feel like I’m buying a box every other week! Especially when everyone you know is asking you to make something again! So far all the tarts I’ve made, including this one, has been a fan favorite.
That being said, it’s incredible that before I started this cooking and blogging journey I had never used puff pastry or leeks before. I’ve already learned so much about cooking and recipe development. I’d like to think that this is helping me create new and delicious things. Make sure to follow my Instagram and subscribe below to stay up to date and learn with me! I can’t wait to continue learning. And hopefully, anyone reading this is learning along with me.
Caramelized Leek and Crispy Bacon Tart
- 2 -3 large leeks, white and light green parts only chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- black pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 puff pastry sheet thawed
- gouda cheese
- Heat oven to 400° and unroll puff pastry sheet on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Carefully poke holes in puff pastry, without going all the way through to the pan. Cook in oven until puffed up and lightly browned, 10 minutes. After, carefully push air out making the sheet flat again.
- In a small pot over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp of butter. Add leeks and onion, stir to coat in butter. Add thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir, and cover. Let cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/2 Tbsp butter and continue cooking another 15 minutes, stirring frequently until leeks and soft and browned (almost like an onion jam!)
- In a separate small pan, over medium – high heat, add chopped bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is crispy and brown, 7 – 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let sit on paper towels to drain excess grease.
- Layer the leek mixture onto the puff pastry sheet, leaving a crust. Sprinkle with bacon, and gouda cheese. Place back in over for another 5 – 7 minutes to melt cheese.