I work a standard 9 – 5 job, meaning I need to plan my lunches for the week. And because I work in a office setting, I’m sitting most of the day, and unfortunately not very active. So I’ve been trying to eat a little healthier for lunch. Some weeks it works, and others it doesn’t. This week, I pulled through with something extra yummy and bonus, low carb!
And I promise come spring, when the days get longer again, I will be going for walks after work everyday! Provided I’m not in charge of cooking dinner that night. But it’s January still, so I’m NOT going outside to walk in the cold. No thank you.
This week I craving a greasy cheeseburger, but can’t have that for lunch everyday, sadly! So I tried to take my craving to another level. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef, and we’re going to use some lettuce instead of a bun. And the best part is, it was so simple. It’s another one pan meal, easy and quick to make and the clean up is a breeze!
What You’ll Need:
The ingredient list is simple and straightforward. I had almost everything I need already just sitting in the fridge or pantry. I only needed to buy the ground turkey and a nice new head of iceberg lettuce! And the rest of the lettuce didn’t go to waste – we had a nice big salad for dinner that night too! So dig through your fridge for some relish, and get your friend to help you dig through the pantry for the tomato sauce.
Cheeseburger Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- small red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Relish
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 5 slices American cheese
- iceberg lettuce
- pinch of red pepper (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, and garlic and cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add turkey and break up into small pieces. Add salt, and pepper, stir. Cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato sauce, fill can halfway up with water and add. Stir well.
- Add relish, pinch of red pepper, and parsley. Stir, let simmer partially covered for 10 mins.
- Add cheese on top and let melt. Stir and remove from heat.
- Serve over lettuce, garnish with additional cheese, relish, and red pepper (optional)