Tender boneless chicken thighs coated in a fennel and shallot based cream sauce, served over a bed of white rice and iron rich spinach. This Chicken in Creamy Fennel Sauce with Crispy Bacon is delicious and has quickly become a family favorite in my house.
Creamy Fennel Sauce – The Details
This creamy fennel sauce combines minced fennel and shallot, simmered in a white wine reduction. With the addition of some chicken stock and heavy cream, you get a light and creamy fennel sauce. The first time I tested this recipe, my mom shouted “Write this down now!” It’s been one of my favorite recipes ever since.
Tender chunks of boneless skinless chicken thighs, a light creamy fennel sauce, topped with crispy bacon. It couldn’t get better than this. Now if only I could get my boyfriend to try this one. I think it could really change his mind about fennel. (I bet you’re not surprised to read he HATES fennel.)
The Saga of Phil and the Creamy Fennel Sauce
His biggest problem with fennel is that the flavor is overpowering. And look, I can’t argue with him about that. Fennel is a BIG flavor. But don’t let that deter you from trying this chicken. The fennel is so light, and combine with the shallot and heavy cream, it blends so beautifully and creates a unique savory flavor. And since the fennel is minced, you don’t get big chunks, it blends seamlessly with the sauce.
Crispy Bacon AKA The Most Important Part
The crispy bacon adds the perfect texture and saltiness to this creamy fennel sauce chicken. Additionally, cooking the bacon first adds a light bacony flavor to the chicken while it cooks. But whatever you do, don’t set the bacon down and forget about it. Sure the chicken will still be delicious but it’s really not the same! The bacon really completes the dish.
Unfortunately, one time I did just that, cooked the bacon, got distracted by the dog and by the time I came back to the pan, the chicken was cooking and I totally forgot the bacon. Hiding in plain sight, sitting on top of my mom’s air fryer oven on the other side of the stove. The chicken cooked, the sauce was ready, and my parents and I ate our full meal. Then my mom turned to me and goes “Hey, wasn’t there supposed to be bacon on top of this?” AFTER WE FINISHED.
Well I won in the end, I had leftovers for lunch the next day with A LOT of bacon on top.
Other Recipes To Try:
If you like this creamy fennel sauce, try some of these other Happy Stirring chicken recipes.
- Chicken Thighs in a Creamy Caper Sauce
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Baked Feta Pasta with Zucchini and Chicken Sausage
- Sesame Ground Chicken and Veggies Meal Prep
Make sure to subscribe to the Happy Stirring Newsletter to stay up to date with all my new blog posts and recipes. If you try this make sure to tag me on Instagram, @happystirring and follow me to see behind the scenes shots of my recipe development and upcoming blog posts!
Chicken in Creamy Fennel Sauce with Crispy Bacon
- 2 lbs bonesless skinless chicken things cut into bite size chunks
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup fennel minced
- small shallot minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a bowl mix chicken pieces with oregano, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper.
- In a large pan over medium to high heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 10 minutes, remove from pan.
- In the same pan, add vegetable oil, and chicken pieces. Spread chicken out so that it's all touching the pan. Brown 3 – 4 minutes on each side, and remove from pan. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add fennel and shallot and cook until fennel begins to soften, 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 – 2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add wine, and reduce completely, 5 – 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock, cook 3 minutes. Add heavy cream, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back into pan with sauce, cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Serve over white rice, and spinach. Top with crispy bacon pieces.