This easy holiday appetizer will have your friends and family begging for you to make more. I know mine are! I get requests for these caramelized onion, fig, and goat cheese tarts any time we get together. Just last weekend I was asked to bring TWO full pans to a Friendsgiving, and they were both gone in minutes. The sweet caramelization on the onions, paired with the tart fig jam, and super creamy goat cheese makes for the perfect easy holiday appetizer for any occasion.
My Favorite Easy Holiday Appetizer
Sure, caramelizing the onions does take quite a long time, but trust me it’s worth it. When I was asked to make this for Friendsgiving, I made sure to caramelize the onions the day before, just so I wasn’t standing over a hot stove while trying to relax with my friends. And even with the extra time the onions take, it’s still not all that hard. Just check them every fifteen minutes until they are a nice deep brown color and there’s tasty burned bits on the bottom on the pan.
After the onions are done cooking, and the puff pastry is broken up into separate shells. The rest is super easy, and the best part? Other than eating the leftover goat cheese and fig jam on crackers, of course. These little tarts are sure to be impressive. The rich flavors come together to create the perfect bite.
Warning: You Will Burn Your Mouth
Every time I make this easy holiday appetizer, whether it be for Friendsgiving, my parent’s anniversary, or a drunken night with my friends, we always stand at the oven and practically salivate while they cook. We crowd around the pan as soon as it comes out of the oven. And of course. We’re frantically trying to blow on them and shove them into our mouths as fast as possible.
Whether they’re eaten burning hot fresh out of the oven or leftover cold in the fridge (which won’t happen often) these little delicious tarts will be you’re new favorite holiday appetizer.
More Appetizers, Bites, and Snacks:
If you liked this recipe, check out some of these other delicious easy appetizers!
Make sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow me on Instagram to stay up to date and see sneak peaks of what’s coming to Happy Stirring next!
Caramelized Onion, Fig, and Goat Cheese Tarts
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 large yellow onions
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz puff pastry one sheet
- 14 oz jar of fig jam
- 4 oz goat cheese
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan (make sure you use one with a cover!) Add onions and stir to coat in the butter. Cook, covered for 30 – 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove onions from heat and set aside.
- Heat over to 425° and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Unroll the puff pastry sheet onto the sheet pan and use a pizza cutter to cut the sheet into 9 squares.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 – 12 minutes.
- Break open the puff squares to create two equal shells. Sprinkle some of the onions over each shell, spread the fig jam, and top with the goat cheese.
- Put back in the oven for 4 -6 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.