A bowl of warm saucy egg noodles and soft blended meatballs make for a perfect comforting dinner as the weather gets colder. These easy blended mushroom Swedish meatballs are a fun and different twist on a classic. My mom used to make Swedish meatballs in the crockpot when I was a kid. Now, we’ve come full circle. Although I shortened the recipe, (still working on mastering my crockpot,) and I tried something new. Blending finely chopped mushrooms into the Swedish meatball mixture.
Blended Mushroom Swedish Meatballs
Some time ago I was browsing Instagram looking for new inspiration. I came across Mushroom Council talking about blended meatballs. They replaced some of the meat with mushrooms and I used that idea to create these blended mushroom Swedish meatballs. And the result was amazing. The meatballs came out softer and they tasted earthier. And that earthy mushroomy flavor was perfect for the Swedish meatball gravy.
Not only are these blended mushroom meatballs soft, delicious, and full of flavor. They are also a good way to stretch a dollar. I mean, buying mushrooms is definitely cheaper than buying another pound of ground beef or pork. It’s a good way to save a dollar and put a delicious meal on the table. And I’m currently trying to move into an apartment with my boyfriend for the first time so any dollar transferred to my savings counts.
It’s funny, I used to hate mushrooms when I was a kid. I would absolutely refuse to eat anything with mushrooms on or in it. I was like that about a lot of foods actually. But thankfully my taste has changed as I’ve gotten older. And mushrooms are now one of my favorite things to cook with. So much so that I put mushrooms in this dish twice! Blended into the mixture to create the perfect pillowy soft meatballs, AND also sliced up in the Swedish meatball gravy.
More Creamy Delicious Recipes to try:
If you liked these easy blended Swedish meatballs, be sure to check out some of my other recipes as well. I love a good creamy sauce.
- Chicken Thighs in a Creamy Caper Sauce
- Baked Feta Pasta with Sausage and Zucchini
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Easy Pastitsio
Make sure to subscribe to the Happy Stirring emails and follow me on Instagram to stay up to date and see behind the scenes shots of all the recipes that will be coming to Happy Stirring!
Easy Blended Swedish Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 4 Tbsps butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- In a medium pan, cook onion over medium heat in 1/2 Tbsp olive oil until soft, 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Combine cooked onions, ground beef, 8oz mushrooms, egg, allspice, nutmeg, and panko in a large bowl. Mix together and form balls, you should be able to make about 24 with this mixture.
- In the same pan, on medium – high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil and half the meatballs. Cook 5 minutes on each side, remove from pan. Repeat with the remaining meatballs. Remove from pan.
- Add mushrooms to pan and cook until soft, another 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Melt butter, and add flour, whisk to combine. Slowly add in beef broth, about 1 cup at a time whisking the sauce until thick in between every cup. Add heavy cream, and parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add meatballs back into pan, cook 10 minutes uncovered.
- Serve over egg noodles.